3.01.2009

BAGELS BAGELS BAGELS



A recent trip that took me to New York landed me squarely in the insanely busy Whole Foods at Colombus Circle and mouth agape in front of the frozen section with my eyes squarely focused on Glutino Gluten Free Bagels. Man. I didn't realize how much I missed bagels.

The flavor here, when toasted (I'm a big fan of the light toast, cool down, and second healthy toasting for slight browning) is great. It's not crumbly, it's not mealy, it's actually fairly close to the texture I remember though not quite as chewy. But seriously, you should really toast these. And while I've tried both the poppy seed version and the plain (and I'm a plain-bagel-with-a healthy-smear-of-cream-cheese-person), I will forevermore buy only the poppy seed version. Why? The plain version I bought most recently is crumbly and strange.

For a short time there, we were driving all the way down to the Whole Foods in Thousand Oaks to stock up-- that's how extreme my bagel love is-- but now I know they carry this at Pacific Health Food on Calle Real in Goleta. they're definitely on the pricey end of the scale (between 5-6 bucks for 5 bagels) but well worth it. Not in Goleta? Try buying these online here. Especially if you've been deprived for a few years.

No comments: